Monday, June 30, 2014

Welcomed Home by a Flash of Yellow!

I first noticed two things upon returning home from Shanghai (beyond my husband's love, of course, and the fact that he was graciously driving me home and absolving me of any responsibility during my first day back in the U.S. of A).

I noticed that the clouds in the overcast sky were in three dimensions.  Regardless of the gray, these clouds, unlike the overhead sky in Shanghai, were distinct, textured, and observable.  Between the clouds and my eyes... was a welcome blanket of clean, clear air that allowed me to see the level of detail that made the clouds beautiful, regardless of their color or weather forecast.   Frequently, during the ride home, I gawked at these clouds sprinkled across the gray, overcast sky as if they were the latest iPad, iPhone, whatever.   I vowed never to complain about clouds again.   We'll see how far that promise lasts into the rainy season in Western Washington.

The second thing I most noticed on my return was the Washington State bird perching itself on the feeder right outside my bedroom window:


Despite being the state bird, the American Goldfinch is not a frequent sight in my world. Because these goldfinches molt twice a year, however,  it is almost impossible to miss the bright flash of freshly molted yellow streaking across the sky during late spring and fall.   This one was headed toward the nearest bird feeder, of which we have plenty.   As my beautiful little, freshly re-feathered friend, perched outside my window, I couldn't help but believe that I was being welcomed back to the beautiful, clean air state of Washington:


I'm not naive.  I'm sure this lovely goldfinch was only after the feast at the bird feeder, because he is one of the strictest vegetarian feathered feeders on the planet, refusing to touch an insect much less consume one, unless he is in very dire straits.   His strictly vegetarian diet encourages me to keep full the many bird feeders that are spread across our property in key locations for bird gawking. Despite the bird's true reasons for perching outside my window, I felt special nonetheless.  After my trip to China, I reserve the right to reconstruct reality to suit a naive and optimistic view of the world.  

I can also identify with my little feathered friend here.  The American Goldfinch migrates not by time of year,  not by predetermined GPS setting, but by temperature.   When it reaches zero degrees or thereabouts, these lovely birds just fly south until the temperature warms up.  

This has become one of my more frivolous goals in life.  When it gets cold, simply head south, until it doesn't feel cold anymore.  Who cares what time of year it is?  Who cares about employment?

Oops, that may be where the naive and optimistic view may venture too far...


1 comment:

  1. Denise,

    Smog isn't clouds perhaps that is part of the difference?

    ReplyDelete