Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Parklike Setting under a Blank, Featureless Sky


During my two week trip to Shanghai University, I had the chance to speak with some longer term visiting professors.  Among many other interesting tidbits, one of these professors commented on the culture shock experienced to those new to Shanghai.   While contributions to culture shock were many, one in particular captures my time and imagination:   the persistent absence of the sun and its companion blue sky.  It only takes a few days of Blank Sky to understand why this is such a large part of the culture shock.
I voluntarily live in a climate that offers long stretches of time where the sun is absent, the skies gray, and the land wet.   Yet, even in Seattle where such a climate is a frequent source of complaint, the sky seems to retain some texture, no matter how poor the weather or dismal the forecast.  Even on days where even a sun break is out of the question, the clouds vary in color from off white to medium gray to downright brooding.  Regardless of their particular color or height in the sky, simple variety in the cloud cover rescues the city from brooding under a homogenous, colorless, blank sky.   

Yet, more so than the absence of the sun burning brightly against a blue background, the homogeneity of the sky here in Shanghai feels unsettling.  As I walk across campus, I search the overhead sky for anything that breaks this blanket of blank which stretches from one horizon to the next.   Not a single spot of blue nor edge of cloud can be found, much less an indication or reassurance that the sun still exists above this vast and uniform cover of cloud and particulate.  
If I let my mind wander far enough, I feel as if I am strolling inside a science fiction movie, in a wholly manmade environment.  I expect to see the spaceship (or space bicycle as would be more fitting on this campus) to come sweeping in at any moment.   I am transported sometime far into the future, when somehow civilization survives without the variety and unpredictability that is the beauty of nature.  

Wrestling my mind away from its bizarre musings, I return to the reality of the pavement beneath my feet and the insistent whispers of my to-do list.  The list, which I would not mind transforming into a work of fiction, reminds me to walk a little faster so I can return to my duties for the week.   

As I pick up my pace, I can’t help but think.  Tomorrow,  Tomorrow. the sun will shine and clouds with edges will return to replace this blank, featureless sky.  
Tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment