Sunday, March 3, 2024

Glorious Food!

I think the most difficult decision I will need to make about visiting Barcelona is deciding on my favorite food dish.  Even the mediocre food was good. Whatever shall I do? How can I make such an impossible choice? At least I am certain about what's at the bottom of the yummy list... that would definitely be airline food.  Blech. 

Apologies for sounding like a spoiled American there.

Prior to this trip, I had been doing a reasonable job of not overeating ... avoiding "pleasure eating" as it's now called.  I certainly blew that good habit right out of the water in just eight short days in Spain. Eating yummy food releases dopamine ... so I've rationalized eating way too much as a better choice for getting a dopamine fix compared to staring at my phone incessantly.

I choose food! Maybe it was the awesomely grilled octopus tapa that was the best:

Or maybe it was the sweet Sangria that offset the salty octopus ... yes, you guessed it. Just Right

Octopus won out over the calamari, but only because it was a little chilly while dining on the calamari:

And then there was every sweet known to humankind sold at La Boqueria market in the Gothic quarter:

La Boqueria put Pike Place market to shame.  And, much as I love the St. Petersburg farmer's market, the produce at La Boqueria looked so fresh and good that I almost violated U.S. customs regulation to bring a bag full back into the U.S.

I guess I could have eaten it all while being detained....

In retrospect, awesome food is not to be underestimated. It makes memories of the trip stick so much better. Taste and smell are the only senses linked to emotional memory in the brain.  I imagine that my brain is going to be recounting and reliving the many culinary pleasures of Barcelona for years to come.   

More food.. click here. But, be forewarned.  You may spontaneously board a flight to Spain as a result of your viewing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment