Saturday, April 18, 2020

Of all things.... Toothpaste


Like most everyone around me, I am trying to take sheltering in place, spending day after day at home, working with few boundaries between work, rest, and leisure .... in stride.  

Right before stay-at-home measures during COVID-19 2020 took hold, my husband and I decided to of all things ... to stay at home.  

In accordance with our pact to avoid becoming COVIDiots, I, with some sadness, cancelled my hair appointment.  Even though the appointment was long overdue and I was starting to look like something I brought home from the dog pound, I thought that we would be back to business as normal in no time.  And at that time, the lovely young woman who does my hair could whip, cut, and highlight my hair into shape in no time.   And, I could once again project the "proper" image when I went to work.   

As the days past and we adapted to the crazy "new normal", I found out that if I brushed my hair just right, Zoom wasn't going to give away the fact that I was long overdue for a haircut. And, after all, there were far more important things to worry about than long hair in the midst of a global pandemic.  As I managed more tangles and more hair drying time, I looked for the positives and... 
  • I found out that keeping my hair in a ponytail was much easier as my hair grew longer and I could complete hours of yard work without one time having to re-tie my hair into submission. 
  • I found out that my husband really didn't notice that I was starting to look like a serious mutt.  This is as convincing an indication that he truly loves me as any I have seen in our marriage.
Sadly though, I reached a day when the negatives overtook the positives.  On that day, immersed in my usual morning routine, I brushed my teeth. I leaned over the sink to rinse all manner of toothpaste out of my mouth and marched out of the bathroom, heading toward my first Zoom meeting and ready to take on the day's challenges.   

It was then that I noticed it.  

Could it be true?  

Indeed

I had toothpaste in my hair.  

My hair has now grown so long that when I finish the brushing of teeth procedure, my hair lands in the sink and picks up the remnants of toothpaste there.  

Ugh.  

Toothpaste in the hair -- It is noticeable -- even on Zoom.   


No comments:

Post a Comment