Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Justice in the World

... comes in many forms.  Today, in Cork, Ireland, I saw one particularly gratifying form of justice.   In one of many (many, many) pubs in Cork city, I came across a beer menu (this is not a surprise). But, then more surprisingly, what to my wondering eyes did appear upon said menu but one shining reindeer:
No, no... that's not how the story goes.  Rather, while gazing at the menu in a cumbersome haze of jet lag brought on by flying halfway around the world from Seattle to Shannon, I saw a form of equality never before encountered in the United States of America:
It's true.  This photograph has not been manipulated in any way, shape, or form.  It is indeed possible to purchase a pint of Guinness at less cost per volume than Budweiser.   While the more rational and analytical of readers might say this is a natural consequence of lower transport costs and taxes (on Guinness) and the opposite for Budweiser in this beer-happy country, I prefer to think of it as a brief moment of sweet justice.   I know I should apologize to any Budweiser fans who may stumble across this blog, but I can't seem to get the words out of my mouth and onto my keyboard.   So, I will refrain.

Budweiser may be the King of Beers, but Guinness actually has the kind of deep, intense flavor that doesn't require intense advertising to market and sell.
My only question today is this:  given this rather attractive and endearing price advantage for Guinness and its many Irish cousins, does Budweiser hold a prayer for selling in Ireland?   Compared to the alternatives, it's hard to believe Bud has a meaningful and appreciable market.  Would you choose a Budweiser over a Fursty Ferret?
... or over a beer that might give you an STD?
The choices for beer and ale here in Ireland are seemingly endless.   I almost feel like a heretic when I choose a glass of wine over a pint of beer.

Oh well.  At least, I'm not choosing a Budweiser!


No comments:

Post a Comment